Paleo Orange Chicken is one of those classic late-night takeout meals. But next time you start craving that tangy flavor, try this easy and delicious low-carb recipe instead!
- 500 gr boneless skinless chicken breast (see note)
- ¼ cup arrowroot starch
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- ¾ cup of orange juice
- 2 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar (see note)
- 1 /2 teaspoon fish sauce (optional, see note)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 ” piece ginger, peeled, and grated or minced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Scallions, sliced, for garnish
- Cauliflower rice, for serving
PREP & COOK
- Cut chicken into 1″ pieces and place inside of a large bowl with arrowroot and a big pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to coat the chicken fully.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet. Once hot, brown chicken on both sides, in batches if necessary, for 3-4 minutes per side.
- Remove chicken and set aside. To the pan add the remainder of the ingredients (except sesame seeds and cauliflower rice). Increase heat and bring the mixture to a boil, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the skillet. Once the sauce has boiled and thickened up, add back the chicken and cook through until hot, about 1 more minute.
- Serve chicken immediately with sauce from the skillet over cauliflower rice
- You can also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs here!
- If you don’t have rice wine vinegar on hand, you can substitute apple cider vinegar.
- So many of you are already making this, but have been asking: What can you substitute for fish sauce? It is optional. Fish sauce is just an extra flavor booster that enhances the overall depth of the dish. But if you don’t have it and don’t want to buy it, skip it! The dish will still be lovely!
- If you want you can omit the honey!