Mediterranean Grilled Lamb Skewers with Carrots, Feta & Mint
There’s just something about summer that says grill to me – and I know I’m not the only one. The grill is a symbol of longer days and spending time with people who matter to you. And the pool. Lots of pool.
Grilling also happens to be one of the healthiest ways to cook. Excess fat drips away during the grill process, making proteins leaner. This is actually the total opposite of frying, which instead absorbs the fats from cooking oil as you well know.
When it comes to meat, lamb is arguably the biggest staple in the Mediterranean region. And even though it is considered a red meat and should be eaten sparingly (about 1-2x per month), it’s full of protein, zinc, vitamin B12 and more*. So what do you get when you toss lamb on the grill? Pure awesomeness. Try out this mouthwatering grilled lamb skewer recipe with tangy feta and you’ll see why.
- 1 /2 cup dry white wine
- 1 /2 cup olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 /2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds trimmed leg of lamb, cut into 1” cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 /2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 /2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 /2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 3 bunches baby carrots (about 3/4 lb. total), trimmed, peeled
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 /2 cup coarsely torn fresh mint leaves
- 1 /2 cup crumbled feta
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
PREP & COOK
- Whisk all ingredients except lamb in a medium bowl to blend well. Add lamb to bowl and toss to coat.
- Cover and chill, tossing occasionally, for at least 4 hours and up to overnight. Carrots
a. Whisk first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl to blend; set marinade aside
b. Cut any carrots longer than 3″ in half lengthwise on a diagonal. Cook carrots in a large pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, 4-5 minutes. Drain. Transfer carrots to a large bowl of ice water to cool. Drain and pat dry.
c. Add carrots to marinade; season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Arrange carrots on a large platter; set aside. Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to high.
- Thread lamb onto skewers. Grill lamb, turning every 1-2 minutes, until lamb is cooked to desired doneness, 7-8 minutes for medium-rare to medium.
- Lay skewers over carrots and let lamb rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss mint, feta, lemon juice, and oil in a small bowl.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon mint-feta mixture evenly over lamb and carrots.